Monday, November 12, 2012

What I Have Learned Since Starting ElizabethMD Jewelry

I would like to start off with a fact. I am a very indecisive person. I think up phenomenal (in my own humble opinion) ideas, and then......well.....sometimes, I change my mind, forget the idea all together,or it gets put on the back burner. I know this happens to a fair amount of you ....am I right!? Ohh please humble me and say yes, so I don't feel so bad. There is just so much STUFF to do every day, that it's hard to choose what to do when, where and how.

ElizabethMD Jewelry has been open for 3 years, But if you consider marketing effort via social media, advertising etc. I'm still a pretty "fresh" shop. Typical reasons of course. You can say life got in the way, responsibilities got in the way. What an awful thought, thinking you can't do what you love because of "obligation".  I made that mistake once. Now as I am starting to recover from a very long bout of health issues, I'm finding ways to incorporate my studio time into my everyday life, and I'm LOVING it. Even doing my very FIRST Craft show on the 17th of this month. Check here for event details.

So I decided to show you what I have learned over the course of ElizabethMD Jewelry's  complete existence. By no means am I an expert at all, and I am sure I will be adding to this list over time. So please check back, as I update it.



-The quote "The harder you work the more it pays off", sometimes takes longer then expected.
-Never give up
-PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.....This means EVERYTHING...photo's, descriptions, advertising, and of course the craft you have chosen!
-You don't need big expensive equipment. 9 times out of 10, you can find second hand tools and equipment to use.
-Keep an open dialog with customers. Once they have purchased let them know personally you have received there order, when it will be shipped (approx. is ok for the first email), and to thank them for choosing one of your pieces. If you gave an estimate send them another brief email to let them know that there package has been shipped (and include a tracking # if applicable), then as an added bonus, a couple of weeks after they have received it, send one last thank you, to see how they are enjoying your design.
-As items expire in my shop, I like to take that opportunity to decide whether there is a reason it has not sold. I update photo's, check to see if the description could be better, and of course check my SEO/keywords. I have been known to completely remove a piece of jewelry, dismantle it and use the pieces in other designs.
- Keep a schedule-If I don't keep a general non changing schedule. Nothing gets done.
-READ READ READ. Never stop reading about how to better your shop/business. Things change ALL the time. Learning is SOOO important to staying afloat.


I would love to hear from you too. Tell me what you have learned since starting your shop or business.



2 comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...