Monday, January 9, 2012

What I Feed My H2B Monday -Red Lobster Style Cheddar Cheese Biscuits

 As I promised I am starting my New Year off with sticking to my word! I am starting this week off with my H2B's FAV new tasty treat. I came across these biscuits at the beginning of December when we were invited to a early Christmas potlock dinner at a dear friend of H2B's. I decided on these biscuits not really knowing what people liked. I guess I just kind of figured, who doesn't like cheese?? Right!?

So I picked up this recipe (the only one I found that didn't use the dreaded bisquick mix) from Purple Foodies. I made them we tested them they tasted great. We just didn't realize HOW GREAT!

I swear no word of a lie they 2 dozen biscuits we made for I believe 10 people possibly, was gone within 5 minutes. They were that good!

After making them a second time the other night (needed to use up some block cheese before going bad, and also wanted a reward for doing so many dishes that have piled up over the last week or so while I have kind of been out of the loop). I realized the amount of cheese is optional, let me explain...not really optional in the sense of omitting it, just in the idea of how much. I ended up using probably about 2-3 cups of shredded cheese in the second try of the biscuits. I have also changed the "top coat" as I like to call it. Doubling the butter amount and applying two coatings. As soon as one drys I spooned some more on. It makes them so devilishly delicious :D, and makes us very happy to have them.

This recipe is for 12 large biscuits or 24 small biscuits. I made small ones for the dinner party and big ones like these for us a few days ago. I really hope you take a break from whatever creativity your doing and try these! I have a gut feeling these little indulgences will make you happy too :D


Cheddar Cheese Biscuits Recipe

Adapted from: Food and Whine  & The purple Foodie
Yield: 12 large biscuits or 24 small ones


2 cups/250g all-purpose flour (unbleached or regular)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup/75g butter, cold, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp. canola or any flavourless, odourless vegetable oil
1 heaping cup/ 6-7 oz. /150-170g grated cheddar cheese (sharp flavoured is best, I used extra sharp) (I ended up tripling this, as we like them SUPER cheesy :D)
1/2 – 2/3 cup or 120-160ml milk (I didn’t need more than 1/2 a cup)

For brushing on top: I personally doubled this part the second time. As I said before, I liked it better that way, but you have your options.
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder.
  2. Add the cubed butter. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut butter into flour until it is coarse, pea-sized (doesn’t need to be fine).
  3. Add oil, grated cheddar cheese and the milk. Stir till well combined and holds together.
  4. Make sure to keep adding milk a bit at a time, just until the dough is moistened and you can no longer see any raw flour.
  5. Drop approximately 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet or a Silpat using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.
  6. Bake for 15-17 minutes in a preheated oven at 400F/.
  7. While biscuits are baking, melt 3 tablespoons butter is a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the parsley.
  8. When biscuits come out of the oven, use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Do this a few times – it’s fun to watch all the butter getting absorbed into the biscuit! Use up all of the butter. Serve warm.
I didn't use a brush to brush the garlic butter mixture on ours (we don't have one yet) Instead I just used my measuring spoon (really any spoon will work) and carefully poured it over.

I really hope you try this. I loved it! My H2B loved them, our friends loved them, and I think you will too.

When you do get around to it, leave a comment down below, and let me know what you think!



Sincerely,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...